- Remain calm and implement your effective "plan of attack" in a responsible manner.
- Check the house and yard. Call your animal companion by his/her name.
you do not locate your pet quickly, expand your search. Some pets can
travel considerable distances quickly ending up in any one of several
holding facilities. Others may be picked up by a well meaning person
and deposited at a shelter or holding facility in a neighbouring
municipality or county.
- Contact all
of the humane societies, pounds, animal shelters, veterinary hospitals,
universities, research labs and similar facilities in the immediate and
- Try to personally visit
these facilities as often as possible. (On many occasions pets and
their humans have failed to be reunited, even though the animal was in
the holding facility that their human guardian contacted because
employees of the facility did not recognize the animal from the verbal
or written description given. If the animal’s guardians had personally
checked out the animals being held they would have recognized their
- Learn what the minimum holding
time is for each facility and check back frequently to ensure that your
pet is not killed sold for research or adopted.
- Leave a colour photograph of your pet, where you can be reached 24 hours a day and request that you be contacted when animals even loosely fitting your pet’s description are brought in.
- Contact all of the humane societies, pounds, animal shelters, veterinary hospitals, universities, research labs and similar facilities in the immediate and surrounding areas.
In a recent incident, a man contacted a family who had lost their dog claiming that he had had to take it to the vet due to injuries sustained in a car accident, and that he would return their dog if the family reimbursed him $900 US for the veterinary bill and a flight home. Luckily this man has been caught by the police and charged with 11 counts of fraud.