The Humane Society of Canada would like to urge everyone to exercise their rights as residents of Yukon to vote in the upcoming Elections on October 11th, 2011.

The Humane Society of Canada is providing this information in a non-partisan fashion by providing links directly to Elections Yukon and other government websites to assist Canadians from all walks of life in exercising their democratic right to vote.

Elections Yukon describes itself as "esponsible for the administration of elections of members to the Yukon Legislative Assembly". Please visit their website at

While the links and information found on this page are to Elections Yukon's website - for up-to-date information and accuracy please visit Elections Yukon website at



Election day is:
Tuesday, October 11, 2011 from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm


Why Should I Vote?

Your vote is the way you choose someone to represent you in Yukon's Legislative Assembly. By expressing your choice, you are exercising a democratic right that is key to the democratic process of government that generations of Yukoners have fought to build.

For example, Student Vote, a non-partisan group that partners with Elections Canada says that: "A central component of a healthy democracy is the participation of its citizens in the electoral process. Many argue that voting is the most basic responsibility of our citizenship."

"The decline in electoral participation has been a phenomenon observed in many western democracies throughout the past two decades. It has become increasingly evident that this trend can be attributed to low levels of electoral participation among young Canadians."

Specifically in Canada, voter turnout of 61.1 percent in the 2011 general election only slightly improved from an all-time low of 59 percent in the 2008 federal election. The Yukon's last provincial election in 2007 received a turnout of 72.9 % of voters heading to the ballot.

Student Vote believes that one of the best ways to approach this challenge is to reach young Canadians early in life and give them an opportunity to cultivate the habits of informed and engaged citizenship.


How Can I Vote?

  • In person on Election Day
  • In person at the Advance Polls on Sunday October 2nd, 2011 and Monday October 3rd, 2011
  • By Proxy - to do this you have to fill out an application which is taken to the Returning Office before voting ends on election day, Tuesday October 11, 2011. A proxy certificate is issued and taken by the voter to the advance poll or to the regular poll on election day
  • By Special Ballot - To do this you must apply to vote by Special Ballot and then mail in the ballot that they send you. Elections Newfoundland and Labrador must receive your registration by 6:00 pm Tuesday October 1st, they must then receive your ballot no later than Wednesday October 5th, 2011 at 4:00pm (3:30 pm in Labrador).


What Riding (Electoral District) Do I Belong To?

You can Contact Elections Yukon at the Elections Office or go to click on this link


What Candidates Are Running in my Area?

Once you have your riding information – if you click on the link “List of Candidates” you can view all of the candidates and their party affiliations.


How Do I Contact My Candidates?

Once you have found out who is running in your area, you can contact them via their party affiliation below (listed in the same order found on the elections Yukon website):

Yukon First Nations Party - 867-841-4180

Yukon Green Party

Yukon Party

Yukon Liberal Party

Yukon New Democratic Party

There are also two independent candidates running, please contact Elections Yukon for their contact information at 1-866-668-8683.


Where Do I Vote?

Once you have your electoral district information you can find out where your voting (polling) station is by clicking on this link.

If you are unable to find your polling station, please call Elections Yukon at 1-866-668-8683 and one of their staff will provide you with the information.


How Do I Find Where I Vote?

Go to a mapping tool website like Click on the "get directions" link, and you can type in your address and the address of your voting (polling) centre.


Who is Eligible to Vote in the Provincial Election?

You may vote in this provincial election if you:

  • are a Canadian citizen
  • will be 18 or older on election day, Tuesday, October 11, 2011
  • have lived in the Yukon for 12 months
  • are registered to vote


Am I Registered to Vote?

When the election is called, enumerators will be going to every residence in your electoral district to get the names of people who are qualified to vote.

If the enumerators cannot get your name and the names of qualified voters who live with you, you can have your name added during revision or you can go to a special revision. Special revision starts after revision ends. You should telephone the Elections Office for the times and locations for adding your name to the list of voters or click here when an election is on.


How Do I Register?

  • Contact Elections Yukon, please call Toll-Free: 1-866-668-8683
  • go to your election day polling place on Tuesday, October 11, 2011. You will need to swear an oath and produce the necessary identification, and have someone voting at that location vouch for you. For more information contact Elections Yukon at 1-866-668-8683.


To Register

  • Contact Elections Yukon, please call Toll-Free: 1-866-668-8683


Information for Seniors

Please consider volunteering to help seniors living in your neighbourhood or contact your local church, community centre, retirement or nursing homes to find out how you can volunteer to help seniors vote. Please visit Elections Yukon's website.


Young Voters

You have ideas. You have plans. You have beliefs.

For information on how to vote visit Elections Yukon's website

For more information on how youth can become more active by involving themselves, their families and their fellow students in the voting process; and prepare themselves for the day when they become 18 and eligible to vote check out Student Votes.



Information for People With Special Needs

A patient in hospital who will be unable to attend either the advance or regular poll may vote by special ballot.


Information for Aboriginal Voters

We were unable to find information on the Elections Yukon website. For more information please contact Elections Yukon at 1-866-668-8683.


Information for Voters from Ethnocultural Communities

We were unable to find information on the Elections Yukon website. For more information please contact Elections Yukon at 1-866-668-8683.


Newfounlanders and Labradorians Travelling in Canada and Travelling and Living Abroad

  • For Yukoners who are travelling or studying away from home in Canada, find out more information here.


Members of the Canadian Armed Forces

  • For our men and women in the Canadian Armed Forces, more information on how to vote can be found here.


Voters With No Fixed Address

For more information please contact Elections Yukon at 1-866-668-8683.


Learn about the results of past provincial elections and by elections for your riding from 2002 to present on Elections Yukon's website.