In Memory of Mini

  • In Memory of Mini
On the 12th of December 1990, I went to the Ottawa Carleton Humane Society. It was a regular visit and to make a small donation. While I was there I went into the cats' room with no intentions of getting another cat. I had adopted Mishoo, a handsome Persian male cat from there a year earlier, and was happy with him. But a female cat, also Persian but much smaller in size than Mishoo, caught my attention. She was white with silver gray shades on her back and tail. She had the most beautiful cat eyes I had ever seen, large, green and expressive. I could see in them dignity and loneliness. She put her paws out as if asking for help. I looked at the information card on the cage. It indicated that she was a stray, approximately two years old, and declawed. I took the card to the front desk to tell them I would like to give her a home. There was a man there who said he was also interested in adopting the same cat. A little girl was with him and I assumed she was his little daughter. A supervisor came out of an office behind the desk and called both of us to his office. He said it is not unusual that two parties are interested in adopting the same animal at the same time, and that day was the first day this cat was ready for adoption. He then suggested we play head or tail. I couldn't believe my luck when I was declared the winner. The other man looked upset. The adoption fee was $57.00, but she was worth a million. That was the best investment in my life.

Before going home I took her to the vet for a check up. I was told she was in good health and that her estimated age is between four and five years, and that she was spayed. She looked a lot younger due to her small size compared to ordinary Persians. I called her Mini.

I was concerned about how Mishoo would react. He was much bigger and had sharp claws, while Mini was declawed. Mishoo did not like, and was aggressive towards, three other female cats that were brought to my place while their owners went away for a few days. To my surprise, he too fell in love with her immediately and followed her everywhere. Since he was neutered and she was spayed, it must have been platonic love. She always seemed to have the upper hand with him. He gave in to her wishes to take over his favorite places to sleep, treats, etc. And he was protective of her. In 1997, Mishoo was diagnosed with kidney failure and passed away on May 19 of that year. It was sad for me, but Mini was there to share my sadness and comfort me. She would put her paws on my face and press gently. She followed me everywhere, and talked to me in a multitude of voices. When I looked in her eyes, I saw undying devotion.

She shared my ups and downs. She was there with me through my marriage, separation and divorce. She